Why MY story?
Future generations would really enjoy knowing about your life experiences. What you've done, where you've been, how you've seen the world change. Think about how much you enjoy reading stories about your ancestors. Why not get your story written down too?
You don't have to be an expert writer, you just have to be willing to tell the stories. We will take whatever you give us and we will write it down, edit it a bit, get it back to you to read and change, and eventually put it up on this site, linked to your place in the family tree. You can send us a letter, an email, a recorded voice, we'll even talk to you over the phone if that's best for you. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What should I talk about?
These are just ideas to stimulate your story telling brain. To get going, think about these questions. If a question doesn't lead you to think of a story, just pass it by. Not everyone has a story for every question. Your stories can be as long or as short as you want.
- What is the earliest memory you have of your childhood?
- What was life like when you were growing up?
- Have you lived in more than one place? What is your favorite place that you've lived? Why?
- Where did you go to school? Did you like school? What are your strongest memories of school?
- What was the very first job you ever had?
- How many different jobs have you had in your life? Which are the most memorable? Which did you enjoy the most, and why?
- Did you serve in the military? What branch and where did you serve? Did you have any experiences that you'd like to talk about?
- Are you married? How did you meet your husband / wife / partner?
- Have you been active in any civic organizations or societies? What do you enjoy the most about them?
- Have you traveled in your life? Which places do you remember the best? Which place do you want to see again and why.
- Thinking back over your life so far, what are you most proud of?
- How has the world changed over the course of your life? What is really different now compared to when you were young?
- What hobbies do you have? How do you spend your free time?
- Over your life you have met many people. Are there people you have known that have had a special effect on your life? A mentor, a role model, an idol - someone who really helped you in some way?
- What would you like to tell your great, great, great grandchildren? What would you like to tell the people who will live in the year 2050?
- Do you have an interesting or humorous story of your life to tell?